Why should we do Karate?
Aside from the obvious benefits of self-defence and fitness, our traditional Japanese style of Karate builds respect, courtesy, self-control, and improves self-discipline and confidence. For children it can help with concentration and behaviour at home and in the classroom. For adults it’s a great way to relieve stress and learn something new.
What ages do we start from?
We are a family club that caters for all ages from 5 years. Our classes are popular with both boys and girls. Girls and women make up around 35-40% of our classes.
Is it safe?
GKR has been established for over 30 years and is one of the largest karate clubs in the world. Our Karate style is non-contact, which provides a safe environment for training and encourages self-discipline and control. Our instructors are first aid trained and hold relevant State working with children qualifications.
Can we train as a group?
We encourage friends, parents, and other family members to train together although they are welcome to train separately if they wish.
Did you know?
- There are over 600 muscles in the human body and you will use every one of them during an average karate class.
- An adult student can burn over 1000 calories (4100kj) in a typical one hour karate class
- Karate kicking engages all muscle groups in the upper and lower abdominal areas and strengthens the lower back.
- Enhanced flexibility from karate training can greatly increase posture and vitality. It can also assist in the prevention of many age-onset injuries.
- Children who train in karate are much less likely to be bullied – or become bullies – as they develop greater self-confidence and respect for others.
- Children’s school work and classroom behaviour can be greatly improved through karate’s disciplined and respectful training environment.
- Accomplishments in karate are often seen in a positive light by prospective employers who rightly attach images of strength, trust and good character to those who study it.
Why GKR Karate?
GKR creates the right environment for our members to train in. Although we promote self defence and fitness, our style also fosters positive values, confidence, discipline, focus and well being. GKR teaches you not only how to punch and kick, it teaches you to be a better person.
We encourage students of all ages, from all walks of life to join our club and be part of the supportive ‘family’ that is GKR Karate.
Have a question or require further information? Get in contact with us today.