Dear students and parents,
We would like to reassure all of our students and their families that we are closely monitoring the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation and will continue to observe the recommended precautions put forward by government health authorities.
Whilst these directives are constantly evolving, we can confirm that our regular GKR Karate classes and monthly gradings will continue as normal unless otherwise advised. That said, the wellbeing of the student body is our highest priority and we will be implementing a number of temporary strategies in our dojos for the next 4 weeks to create the safest possible environment for training. These include:
- Instructors will spread students out and line them up in such a way as to utilise all the space in the dojo. This will ensure a greater physical distance between each student.
- We will NOT conduct any close-quarter partner exercises during this time, including kumite ie: we will focus more on kata, kihon, combination drills and footwork training.
- There will be a temporary halt on the use of kick shields or focus mitts, and instructors will be asking students not to Kiai in class during this 4 week period.
We will re-assess the need for these measures at the end of the 4 week period and will be guided by government directives. In addition, there are several basic practises related to personal hygiene that all students can be observing in the meantime:
- Do not share drink bottles or towels with other students
- Refrain from shaking hands with others at class. Bowing is safe, and is excellent etiquette
- If you must cough or sneeze, please do so into your Mawashi Empi (your bent arm)
- Wash your hands well both before and after class
- If you’re feeling unwell then stay home and rest. We’ll see you again soon. If you’ve been exposed to the virus, please follow the quarantine conditions set out by health authorities.
We are hopeful that the observance of these practises will allow students to maintain their regular training patterns with greater confidence over the coming weeks. If there are changes to any of our scheduled classes or events in your area, then these announcements will be made on your region’s Facebook page and at class via your branch instructor.
To avoid misinformation about the virus, we suggest visiting the following trustworthy source:
If you have any further questions, then please contact your Regional Instructor or your branch sensei.
Thank you for your understanding.
16th March 2020